I had the privlege this weekend of traversing the lovely Highway 195 from Spokane to Pullman for the best worst football game ever. Not only were both teams terrible coming into the game, neither team had a win. Yes, WSU did beat Portland State, but so could UW. Therefore, it doesn't count. I also decided to brave the highway at two-thirty in the morning after getting off work at the Double Dribble. I got into Pullman about 4 am, grabbed a power-nap and was ready to have my adventure.
The morning started at about 8:30 when I began receiving all sorts of text messages from various people wanting to know what my plans were. I still had no idea. I set out into my personal Disney Land known as Pullman. And yes, The Roto is still my Space Mountain. Our adventure began at the "boys house" which was full of the usual Saturday morning leftover. Empty beer cans, half-drank beer cans, and some feeling-very-lucky Keystone Light cans. I don't know if they survived the weekend. After a brief stop, we were off again to the mysterious area (To most undergrads) known as the Field House. I will pass on that in the future. I decided that I didn't want to be crammed in with everyone, and made my way to Valhalla for a pre-game pitcher of cold, refreshing, Busch Light (Yes, this blog is available for sponsorship).
At about 11:50 I rendezvoused with Megan, and we made our way into the game. I then proceeded to the 35-yard line and met up some old friends from undergrad. Same seats as back in the day. Good times. I stayed here for the first quarter, before moving to the alumni side. This side was always an anomaly to us students. I now understand it a little more. Alumni understand how to better watch a football game, and it is not required to stand and yell seemingly witty things. We made it to half time, before deciding it was time to get food, and maybe find a warmer spot to watch the game. Back to Valhalla.
Valhalla was everything I needed it to be. I got some beer, and a burger and fries (Thanks Megan). Here I was able to watch the game in relative warmth, and surrounded by other Cougs. Fantastic. Except for the idiot that kept yelling Go Cougs. If you want to yell like that...go to the stadium. They can't hear you through the TV. This was another chance to catch up with long lost friends. Which was fantastic. Watching several UW field goals miss, I thought, we have a chance. And we did. I won't call it an upset, even though we were underdogs, I will take it however. Seeing the missed field goals, the ability to not play defense in the last second of the game, and their mysterious ability to get a first down, the Huskies Coug'd it in the 2008 Apple. I don't know what is better than the Huskies Coug'n It. Except that the phrase "Coug'n It" be changed to "Dawg'n It".
After the game I hung around Valhalla, had a few celebratory drinks, and it was back on the road for the return trip to Spokane, and back to work at the Dribble. What a great weekend. Thank you Paul Wulff and the 2008 Cougars for one the more memorable season in WSU football season history. We avoided the "worst team in the nation" tag, and put the nail in the coffin for the worst season in the University of Washington's distinguished history.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment