Tuesday, April 9, 2013

My Trip To The Grand Canyon

So.  After moving back to Washington, Mom decided she wants to go on a family vacation to the Grand Canyon.  I'm all like cool.  Never been.  Let's do it. She decided to push it to the extreme and stay in Grand Canyon, Arizona.  Two miles off the South Rim of the canyon.  Great for a quick commute to the Canyon, bad for boredom.  No gym to workout at, not even at the hotel.  Wendy's closes at nine.  McDonald's at ten.  Place was so mall, Mickey D's jacks up their prices to cover housing for employees.

Anyway.  The Canyon itself is amazing.  No way to describe it.  Pictures can't do it justice.  Go see it in person if you haven't.  The first of two days at the Canyon was spent wandering around town, getting a feel for places to eat.  Things to do. The afternoon was spent walking along the Rim Trail and taking in the view.  I even sat on the edge.  First time I've ever gotten light headed from heights.  Weird feeling.  Listened to Ranger Bob's twenty minute speech about the uniqueness of the Grand Canyon and the hows and whys it came to be.  That night.  We had dinner at a place called, 'We Cook Pizza and Pasta.' No joke.  And yes.  That's what they cook.  They also do great sandwiches and wings.  I tried a couple microbrews from the Grand Canyon Brewery, their 'Sunset Amber' and the 'White Water Wheat.' Both are excellent options.  Dinner was followed by a trip to the local iMax for a forty minute movie about the 'History of Grand Canyon.'  Sleep followed.

Day two started off with a helicopter tour of the Canyon.  Mom and Dad sprang for the longer tour in the nicer helicopter.  Worth it.  One of the coolest experiences ever when you fly over the rim.  Wow.  We also got to see the North Rim of the canyon.  The North Rim, on average, is about a 1000 feet higher than the South Rim.  Interesting.  After that, it was lunch, hot tub and pool time, before grabbing dinner and heading out towards Desert View to catch the sunset.  The Canyon really does 'change' colors with the sunset.  Kinda cool to see.

Big props to my mother for planning the trip.  But.  If I was to do it again, which I want to.  What we did could easily be done in a day, staying in Flagstaff (an hour-ish away), and driving up and back.  These would leave time to see other things.  Like Chimney Rock or a Diamondbacks' game.  If I was to go back, and I want to, I would stay for a couple days.  But hike it, camp at the bottom, hike to the North Rim, stay a night there.  Hike back.  Camp.  Hike out.  Maybe do some rafting in the Canyon.  Who's in?





No comments: