Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Gladiator

To quote one of the greatest movies ever, "I have long feared that my sins would return to haunt me, and the cost is more than I can bear." In the movie, that cost ends up being Maximus' wife and child. No one should have to go through that. In the movie, you believe Maximus to be a good man. He seems noble, even willing to return Rome should he be allowed to "conquer" it. But who really knows what he was like. I know the movie is fictitious, but it makes you wonder.

Well, I recently had something similar happen to me. Without going into to too much detail, one of my best friends completely pulled the rug out from under me in a variety of ways. I couldn't believe that someone that I cared so much about, and who cared about me, could just pretend like I didn't exist. It hurt. But it also got me thinking. What have I done? And the answer is a lot. For that I am sorry. I took this person for granted, wasn't completely honest, and at times, and wasn't probably the type of friend worthy of the "best friend" label.

I have apologized, and am almost thankful. I hope that I never treat this person like I did again. Hopefully, I didn't realize this too late.

No comments: